Scientist / Senior Scientist, Biophysics – South San Francisco
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist / Senior Scientist, Biophysics, in our Discovery Biology team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing biophysical assays to drive the drug discovery pipeline by conducting compound screening, lead identification and mechanism of action studies.
As a member of a cross-disciplinary team of scientists, the successful candidate will contribute to advancement of projects by generating binding/kinetic data and will be interacting with project teams routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
At Frontier Medicines, we are focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders leveraging our evolving internal chemoproteomics pipeline. This position is located in South San Francisco.
- Design, execute, and analyze key biophysical experimental strategies to develop novel approaches in biophysical assay development and drug discovery, with a high level of independence and creativity.
- Contribute to hit finding, lead identification and optimization efforts, and further enable development of a preclinical pipeline of valuable drug discovery programs.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field and help implement novel techniques for enhanced workflows and/or improved data quality.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates at project team meetings and other settings.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in Biophysics, Biochemistry or a related field with at least 3 years of relevant post-graduate and pharma/biotech experience.
- Experience using biophysical techniques to analyze protein-small molecule and macromolecular interactions is required.
- Hands-on experience using Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) spectroscopy, especially on Biacore platforms (e.g., S200, 8k+) is required. Experience with other biophysical techniques (e.g. ITC, DSF, DLS, BLI) is a plus.
- Expertise with kinetic and thermodynamic characterization and quantitative analysis of ligand binding interactions.
- Experience with liquid handling and automation systems is desirable.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.